The Ministry of Transport and Communications (MOTC), Oman was establishing and developing ports with a view to operate and improve their services. They were also concerned about the maritime shipping and wanted to achieve highest levels of safety and security of ports and vessels.
They wanted to establish new systems to serve maritime transportation and to offer a navigational safety system at the Sultanate of Oman. Also, one of their primary aims was to reduce the different obstacles, especially those concerned with procedures in logistic services as it hinders the smooth flow of work in marine shipping in Omani ports.
With Oman aiming to be a large port, it was not an easy task when it comes to automation of certification, evaluation, and management of renewal of different type of certificates as those were issues of high priority.It was also a great challenge when it came to managing the ship, the vessels, and small boats along with checking the sea-worthiness;given the fact that they were remote installations and ports.
They wanted a comprehensive document management system integrated with workflows to manage more than 35 types of certificates through their life-cycle.
For Quadwave, this project became an excellent example of automating all the processes in the vessel registration, certifications, and the port management. The solution was put together in six months and implemented soon thereafter.
As an integral part of the solution, Quadwave was able to set up a comprehensive multi-lingual Internet and Intranet portal for the public and the government officials.
The certification process that Quadwave enabled for MOTC, Oman, was an end-to-end integrated process. From application forms that were available to the public to the digitally signed certificates, all of these became parts of the solution. Furthermore, each certificate was provided with a tamper-proof and encrypted 3D labels.
- The solution offered a detailed reporting framework for each level of the government officials who were involved
- It was built in such a way that it could manage end-to-end vessel and ship registration process.
- The solution also allowed the management of individuals and enterprises with multi-user facility for the end-user.
- The online application was made available in Arabic and English.
- Quadwave ensured the automation of more than 30 processes.
- The solution was capable of generating more than 75 different reports.
- All the aspects of payment, SMS, phone integrations etc.were considered in the solution.
The application was built using:
- Java/J2EE, Liferay Enterprise Portal, Pentaho
- jBPM, jRules, Alfresco DMS
- Oracle DB Server
- Alfresco Portal and DMS, Integrated Activiti Workflow engine
- Signavio designer
Integration with multiple third-party systems such as payment processing, label printers, certificate printers, bar code readers etc.